Monday, December 17, 2007

My wife blogged this inspirational piece

 blog it
Have you ever tried to touch a person behind glass? That sensory experience is lacking in warmth. The gentle touch of a person holding your hand can be so comforting. One of my favorites is the great big bear hug as long as it doesn’t suffocate you. That is a tremendous affectionate gift. We humans thrive on touch. Babies who lack it can die or grow up with challenging issues. So have you ever tried to touch a person behind glass?
She was to arrive soon. The weather was windy, stormy, and wet, very wet. I’d been praying for her safety. Then the phone call came. She couldn’t come and would I go in her stead. I said yes but my heart began pounding in my throat and I felt a cold sweat go over my being.
As I drove southwest, the desert tumbleweeds raced across my vision and the road. I began to worry. Could I do this by myself? My husband was unable to go with me and I was alone, but was I really? My little compact vehicle shivered in the wind.
The large imposing buildings came into my view. The intimidating towers and fences with circular wire intertwined above them, made me feel watched and entrapped. I began to make my way through the parking lot and into the first building. Then I began to have a silly thought about my underwire bra. Earlier there’d be a two-do about the wires. Wires are unacceptable. For a previous visit with others, a sports bra was necessary. This time I was prepared with the right equipment.
As I journeyed alone through the building and into the various sections, passing more buildings along with way, I noticed the starkness and severity of the place. The grounds were tidy, almost unnaturally so.The atmosphere was filled with silence and despair. There was no trash in evidence. The next building was my destination. I entered the waiting room and preceded passed the tables filled with visitors and residents.
In my vision, two glass windows came into view. In front of one, was a chair. I sat down and waited. Would he be disappointed to see me instead of her? Yet as he came through the door, a big grin filled his face. I apologized for my appearance instead of hers and began to jabber and asked questions. Even though we couldn’t hug, I began to feel that our minds and emotions were touching. My eyes welled up tears off & on. The hour passed and then another half. A signal was given. I was thankful for the extra half and hour.
I placed my hand against the glass as he did. Only a fraction of an inch separated our hands. Then it was time to go. I did not know how many years it would be until I touched him again.
After I left, I called her or did she call her me? Whatever, that doesn’t matter. What matters is as we spoke on the phone we both choked up but also laughed as she asked questions. Again spirits & minds touched.
All of us had been touched not physically but, mental, spiritually and emotionally. There was mysterious and yet wonderful satisfaction in that. I look forward to the actual physical touch with him. A great big bear hug that I don’t even care if I am unable to breathe for a time, as long as I get to have the physical touch next year. Then I will be satisfied all over and under.
At times my feelings of Jesus are the same as I try to touch Him through the glass; which is obscured at times, even shadowy and dark. Other times, I have a wonderful satisfaction in the spiritual sense that He has touched me and I touched Him. One day, I will finally be able to see Him face to face, body to body, & finally that long satisfying bear hug with my Friend, Savior, Brother, and Lord, Christ Jesus.

I Corinthians 12:13 “…for we see now through a dim window obscurely, but then face to face;…” (1890 Darby Bible)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.