Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sacrificial service towards God done out of lifeless duty is odious to God. People love being religious because it causes them to boast in their achievements and to feel superior in comparison to other people. Religion can also take the place of a club; let us say like the Lions club. However, those who have truly come to know the grace of God find their most precious delight and treasure to be Him.The Bible declares that those who are recipients of God’s grace have a strong and intense love for God. Those who have been born of God will have times of intense longings and desires for God; along with a desire to please Him, as well as His people. The following scriptures point this out. One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple. (Ps. 27:4). “As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for You, O God.” (Ps. 42:1). “God, you are my God; I shall seek you earnestly; my soul thirsts for you, my flesh yearns for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. Thus I have seen you in the sanctuary, to see your power and your glory.” (Ps. 63:1-2). “How lovely are your dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God. The bird also has found a house, And the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, Even Your altars, O Lord of hosts, My King and my God.” (Ps. 84:1-3). “My soul waits for the Lord More than the watchmen for the morning; Indeed, more than the watchmen for the morning.” (Ps. 130:6).More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ.” (Phil. 3:8). You can see by these scriptures that genuine intense longing for God and a desire to become more intimately acquainted with him is the normal response of those who have been known of God.

1 comment:

BJ Stockman said...

Longings for God...its hard to beat Brother Lawrence's description:

""I have had such delicious thoughts of the Lord that I'm ashamed to mention them."

Hmmm....interesting quote. Sounds almost erotic.

Now, Lawrence may have gone a bit far with that quote, but no doubt I do not go far enough.

Matt Chandler, pastor of the Village Church in Texas, talks about longing as if it is a lusting. Do I lust for the living God? Not as I should.

I am not simply to believe in God but to long for Him. Indeed New Testament believing contains longing within.

Lord, quicken in us all a holy lust for You!